Grandma Antoinette’s Old-Timey Strawberry Shortcake
Nothing says summer like strawberry shortcake: rich and tender homemade biscuits layered with juicy strawberries (or any other fruit, for that matter), and topped off with real whipped cream. You can serve strawberry shortcake for dessert, picnics, and even for breakfast. Just like Grandma used to make <3
- 6 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup cold butter cubed
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine strawberries with sugar and vanilla; mash slightly. Let stand at least 30 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- For shortcakes, whisk together flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add buttermilk; stir just until combined (DO NOT over mix).
- Drop batter 2 inches apart onto an un-greased baking sheet. ( 16 little balls)
- Brush with 2 tablespoons heavy cream; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake until golden, 18-20 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For topping, beat heavy whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form.
- To serve, cut shortcakes in half; top with strawberries and whipped cream. Enjoy!!