Zesty Broccoli with Garlic & Basil
Zesty Broccoli with Garlic & Basil is a sweet, tangy side cooked to perfection, bringing out the unique anise tones of the basil while the lemon pairs beautifully with basil. From a cancer-fighting perspective, this zesty side has it all. The star of the show, broccoli, comes naturally packed with glucosinolates, sulfur-containing compounds that break down into several active anti-cancer compounds. Don't skimp on the basil please! It contains powerful antioxidant properties plus the basil combined with the broccoli and tomatoes, really takes the flavor over the top!
- large pot, large pan
- 1 bunch organic broccoli or (about 1.5 – 2 cups chopped)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ½ cup fresh basil finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Pink himalayan salt
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cut the broccoli florets off the stalks, peel the stems and cut them into bite-size pieces. Add a pinch of salt and the broccoli florets/stems to the pot of water and blanch for 30 seconds.
- Drain the broccoli and run it under cold water to stop the cooking process; this will retain its gorgeous green color.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat, then add the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 30 seconds, just until aromatic. Now add the cherry tomatoes and a tiny pinch of salt and sauté for an additional minute or two.
- Stir in the broccoli florets and ⅛ teaspoon of salt and sauté for 2 minutes; the broccoli should still be firm. Now stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and basil. Serve immediately.
- Please be sure to add the lemon juice and zest right before serving. The lemon will dampen the color of the broccoli if it sits for more than a few minutes. Enjoy all!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!