Hearty Navy Bean Soup
This delicious Navy Bean Soup, slow cooker style, is pure comfort food. It's easy to make for dinner and is filled with a great combination of healthy ingredients. This best bean soup recipe is made from scratch and is bursting with flavors that the whole family will love.
- slow cooker or crock pot
- 1 pound dry navy beans you do not need to soak these overnight
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock or bone broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large red onion diced
- 3 medium carrots sliced
- 4 stalks celery sliced
- 1 cup diced ham OR ham bone or 2-3 smoked ham hocks
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon Freshly cracked pepper
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- First, add navy beans to a pot and boil 10 minutes.
- While beans are boiling, mince the garlic, dice the onion, slice the celery, and slice the carrots into thin rounds.
- Add olive oil, garlic, onion, celery, and carrots to a large slow cooker.
- Drain the beans and sort through them, and remove any debris or stones.
- Quickly rinse the beans and add them to the slow cooker, along with the bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, paprika, and some freshly cracked pepper and diced ham (or ham bone/hocks)
- Add the 4 cups of stock and 2 cups of water to the slow cooker. Stir carefully to combine the ingredients.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 8 hours on low or on high for 4-5 hours.
- After 8 hours, stir the soup to thicken it up to your desired consistency.
- Add salt as needed.